A CHURCH WITH A HISTORY AND A FUTURE
RUMC has been part of Ringgold’s history from the very beginning. Located in historic downtown Ringgold, we are an integral part of the character of our hometown. We have enjoyed 177 years of worship with our community, and look forward to many more.
THE BEGINNING (1845)
In 1845 the Ringgold Methodist Episcopal Church South was formed as Rev. Drury Fowler began holding weekly worship with a small group of people between White Oak Mountain and Taylor’s Ridge. The new church began two years before the town of Ringgold was established in 1847 and just seven years after Cherokee Indian removal. On July 22, 1848 Georgia Representative William B.W. Dent deeded a lot on Lafayette St (near the cemetery just down from the post office) so that a “forever house of worship” could be built on the property within 5 years.
FIRST EXPANSION (1926)
The small, one-room, wooden, white steeple church gave way to a larger brick church with room for childcare and other ministries. In 1926 the church moved into the brick building that still exists downtown as a wedding chapel.
NEW LOCATION (1972) AND EXPANSIONS (1996 AND 2007)
The church needed to expand, and a new sanctuary that could seat almost twice the existing attendance was built. This new building included nursery rooms, classrooms, and a small fellowship hall.
Outreach, family, and fellowship have always been an important part of our church. As we have grown over the years, we have addressed the needs of our community by building a Gym, rooms for children and preschool, and a Multipurpose Room.
FOREIGN MISSION TRAVEL BEGINS (2004)
Our first group of international missionaries traveled to Mexico in June 2004. The next year, we connected with El Ayudante in Nicaragua. These global missions grew into three consistent foreign mission outreaches to impact thousands of people in Momance, Haiti and Leon, Nicaragua with missionaries traveling to these communities multiple times a year to provide free dental and medical clinics, build houses, schools, and churches, provide clean water solutions, and more.
MULTIPLE WORSHIP STYLES BEGIN (2008)
On May 4, 2008, a contemporary worship ministry called “Water’s Edge” began as the the first contemporary worship experience at RUMC. On September 12, 2010 the first Sunday morning Contemporary worship service was attended by 108 people, giving birth to multiple styles of worship at our church.
MAJOR PARTNERSHIP OUTREACH BEGINS (2010)
Nourishing Children in Catoosa, also known as NCIC, started in September 2010 delivering 301 snack packs to Westside Elementary School on a weekly basis. This program continued to expand to additional schools and now serves 1,600 snack packs each week.
Recovery at Ringgold began in 2013. It is a weekly ministry that helps people from all walks of life who may be struggling with divorce, codependence, loneliness, grief, alcohol/chemical dependency, debt/overspending, compulsions, or obsessions. Recovery is rooted in Scripture, worship, small group time, and the 12-Steps.
TORNADO RECOVERY COMMAND CENTER (2011)
When a devastating class 4 tornado ripped through Ringgold on April 27, 2011 the people of our church reached out not only to our neighbors but also offered the church itself as the command center for tornado recovery. The church even postponed much needed maintenance and recovery on our own facilities until after others had been sufficiently helped in the community.
A CHURCH CONNECTED TO A LARGER CHURCH
Find out more about the United Methodist Church at the links below.
- To learn more about the History of the United Methodist Church: Our History
- To learn more about the Four Areas of Focus of the greater UMC: Four Areas of Focus
- To learn more about the Foundational Documents that have guided our church practice: United Methodist Foundational Documents
- To learn more about our Social Principles: Our Social Principles